In 2008 Calumet Specialty Products purchased Penreco® and added their products to their full line of waxes, solvents, base oils and specialty hydrocarbons.
With a history dating back to 1878, Penreco produces the highest quality petrolatum, white oils and hydrocarbon gels for cosmetic, personal care and pharmaceutical applications.
World War II created extreme changes in the American petroleum industry. As a result of these influences, Pennsylvania Refining Company decided to concentrate its efforts on the production of white mineral oils, petrolatum and solvents.
These highly refined forms of petroleum, white mineral oils and petrolatum were pure enough to surpass Food and Drug Administration requirements.
The Pennsylvania Refining Company and Magie Brothers Oil Company merged in 1969 and in January 1973, Pennsylvania Refining Company became the Penreco Division of Pennzoil Company.
In 1985, Penreco purchased Marathon Morco, a white oil and sulfonate producer in Dickinson, Texas. This merger gave Penreco the ability to supply white oil from two production sources. The purchase also included a line of specialty oils, refrigeration oils and compressor lubricants. Today, both locations are still operational.
In October 1997, Penreco became a partnership between Pennzoil Quaker State and Conoco Inc.
In February 2001, M.E. Zukerman Specialty Oil Corporation purchased a 50 percent stake in Penreco from Pennzoil-Quaker State Company. The ConocoPhillips/M.E. Zukerman partnership in Penreco continued until Calumet’s purchase of the business in 2008.
On January 1, 2008, Calumet Specialty Products purchased Penreco® and added their products to their full line of waxes, solvents, base oils and specialty hydrocarbons.